admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: rsync algorithm

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_sun.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 10:18:25 -0800

Tim Quinn wrote on 03/10/10 08:38 AM:
> I don't have data to refute Bill's thought about the two most frequent
> use cases (fetching nothing vs. fetching everything). And in fact that
> makes intuitive sense to me - at least in a true production environment.
> I don't really have a sense for the relative frequency of adding a new
> cluster node as opposed to deploying a new app or redeploying an
> existing one or changing some configuration data (any of which would
> involve a partial refresh as opposed to an all-or-nothing refresh) in a
> production GlassFish environment.

Our current design uses a completely different mechanism to handle
deploying an app or changing configuration data.

And just to be clear, optimizing the data transfer during startup
synchronization or app deployment is certainly worth considering for
the future. I just don't think it's necessary for this first release.