admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: Review of create-threadpool, delete-threadpool, list-threadpools man pages

From: <June.Parks_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:50:45 -0700

On 10/14/09 13:59, Bill Shannon wrote:
> June.Parks_at_sun.com wrote on 10/14/09 08:58:

>>> I don't understand. Please change *what* to "--workqueues"?
>>>
>>> Why was the name of the option changed incompatibly between v2 and v3?
>>> Did you mean that you were going to change the code to rename the
>>> option
>>> to be compatible with v2?
>>>
>> Behind the scenes the num-work-queues attribute has been removed and
>> max-queue-size has been added in v3. The Grizzly engineers have the
>> details. Perhaps --workqueues should be a no-op. It would be
>> confusing to use --workqueues for the max-queue-size attribute,
>> because --workqueues accepted a number of queues while max-queue-size
>> accepts a number of bytes.
>

> Nachiappan Veerappan Nachiappan wrote on 10/13/09 16:54:
> > Bill Shannon wrote:

> has
> >>>

> >> I don't understand. Please change *what* to "--workqueues"?
> >>
> > The create-threadpool command man page which was sent for review had
> the
> > option --workqueues changed to --max-queue-size. So i requested
> Dixie to
> > change that to --workqueues, because the command implementation has
> > --workqueues as option name.
> >> Why was the name of the option changed incompatibly between v2 and v3?
> >>
> > The name of the option was not changed in the command implementation.
> > There is no incompatibility issue with regards to command
> implementation
> > between v2 and v3. All the options have the same name as in V2.
>

> Which of the above is correct?
You can verify for yourself that num-work-queues doesn't exist and
max-queue-size does by running Tim Quinn's ConfigAnalyzer tool:

http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=DomainXMLv3Structure

As for what the create-threadpool command does, I'd suggest making
--workqueues a no-op and adding an option with a name like
--maxqueuesize or --max-queue-size. (Option names without spaces are
what we've used in the past, and they're slightly shorter, but if you
want to move toward having new options match their attribute names, I
won't object.)

The units for max-queue-size are messages, not bytes as I stated previously.

June