admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: REVIEW:: monitor, enable-monitoring, disable-monitoring, monitoring concepts

From: Dixie Pine <Dixie.Pine_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:26:25 -0700

On 09/24/09 12:03 AM, Bill Shannon wrote:
> Sreenivas Munnangi wrote on 9/23/09 9:26 PM:
>
>> Bill Shannon wrote:

>>> monitor.1:
>>>
>>> The attributes it tells you to set for different types, are they different
>>> than what can be enabled using enable-monitoring?
>>>

>> Yes, the --type does not exactly correspond to what can be enabled for
>> monitoring. This is borrowed from v2.
>>

> Do we want to recommend that people use "asadmin set" with the listed
> attributes, or "asadmin enable-monitoring"? I would've thought the
> latter.

User is so hoping for two separate ways:

    * enable-monitoring, disable-monitoring, list-monitoring-levels
      (which shows me all the current modules and their levels), monitor
    * list-get-set

Then I can document the two ways in separate tasks. Masochists can use
the list-get-set way if they want to.

And what about showing statistics? The Admin Console is nice, but right
now the CLI method for showing statistics is less than wonderful. Any
chance of avoiding dotted names there too?

Dixie