admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: options that take a list of values

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:33:16 -0700

> I like 2) mainly because it removes the problems with ':' especially
> it comes to JVM options. e.g. I think
>
> create-jvm-options -Xshare:on, -Xmx1g
>
> is more usable than:
>
> create-jvm-options -Xshare\:on:-Xmx1g

But I just realized that this problem won't be solved by Bill's second
proposal, sigh :( since it will end up using ':' as the delimiter which
we don't want in the case of multiple JVM options.

I fear that we have to keep it the way it is, i.e. have only ':'
as the delimiter and then pass the comma separated value verbatim
as a single value. I agree, command implementations will need to
parse them, but that's ok.

Having two delimiters is going to confuse users more ...