admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: Standardization on asadmin terms

From: Paul Davies <Paul-Martin.Davies_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 09:47:15 -0700

Hi Lloyd,

The term "utility" provides greater differentiation from "subcommand"
than "command", and is used in the sense of utility program
<http://www.answers.com/topic/utility-program> as defined at answers.com.

The separation of asadmin options from subcommand options required us to
coin two new terms ("asadmin utility option" and "subcommand option") to
denote these two types of options. It seemed to me that the best way to
avoid confusing users was to choose terms that were distinctly different
and to use those terms consistently in the documentation. The new
terminology was invented to make a distinction that was not necessary
before.

Regards,
-Paul