admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: New CLI

From: Paul Davies <Paul-Martin.Davies_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:14:13 -0700

Hi Bill,

Thanks for this reply.

On 06/30/09 15:29, Bill Shannon wrote:
> Paul Davies wrote on 06/30/09 13:31:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Kedar has documented most of this here:
>>> https://glassfish.dev.java.net/nonav/v3/admin/planning/j109/admin-cli.html
>>>

>>> I don't think all of this is going to get implemented for v3, but it
>>> gives you an idea of the direction we're headed.
>>>
>> I have been working from this document to determine the effect of
>> these changes on the documentation. Will Kedar or somebody else be
>> updating this document to indicate what will be implemented for v3
>> and what will not?
>
> That's a good question. :-) I would suggest asking Abhijit how
> he wants to handle this.
I'll follow up with Abhijit.

> But, let's take this one step at a time...
>
> The changes to the way options are handled as described in section 2.1
> are just about done. (I haven't switched it to be the default yet,
> but will as soon as some testing is done.)
>
> Can you work on determining the effect of this change on the
> documentation?
> I know this will have significant effect on the man pages and similar
> docs,
> and it would be good if we could update all the examples accordingly.
> (Fortunately, since the old way still works, it's not a disaster if some
> things don't get updated.)
This certainly looks like a good place to start. Expect the details in
the form of a doc plan for review soon.

> I'm hoping we can use this change to simplify the documentation of each
> command by avoiding repeating the common asadmin options when describing
> each command. Instead, the main asadmin command should describe the
> common options and then each command need only describe the
> command-specific
> options.
>
> Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

This suggestion makes perfect sense to me - in fact I was thinking along
exactly the same lines myself when the change to how metaoptions would
be handled was first proposed. I think that describing metaoptions only
in the man page for the asadmin utility should reinforce the idea that
these options modify the behavior of asadmin, and not the subcommand
that follows it.

> Thanks!

You're welcome!

--
Paul Davies, Senior Technical Writer, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
http://blogs.sun.com/techscribe/