admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: admin infrastructure arch review ...

From: Lloyd Chambers <Lloyd.Chambers_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 17:23:36 -0700

As far as I know, when a module is added its interface defines any
required values and any default values (if needed) and everything else
is null.

So we have value that are:

a) not required (optional)
b) required and has a default defined by the interface
c) required, but a default value cannot be defined in advance

Item (c) is the issue.

A module writer should take this into account by gracefully degrading
service until such time as it is configured via the GUI or asadmin.
No one should have to edit domain.xml.

Also, a module should attempt to set defaults for all required values,
even if that means things like port conflicts might happen.

Lloyd