admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: V3 MBeanServer now "wrapped", AMX automatic

From: Lloyd L Chambers <Lloyd.Chambers_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 08:28:01 -0700

Bill,

Correct. There are no "hooks" for virtualization/on demand loading
other than "wrapping" an MBeanServer--a regrettable design flaw IMO.
The only option is an inner/outer pattern in which the outer
("wrapper") MBeanServer watches for activity of interest, passing
along requests to the inner (standard) MBeanServer, which accommodates
this process by being aware of a possible wrapper.

Wrapping the Platform MBeanServer was done in V2 and a variety of bugs
remain as a result. For example, profilers and other such things that
run before main() fail, because the wrapper class itself as well as
any classes it might use are not available before main() is called;
this precludes creating an MBeanServer until later in the boot
process, which causes the profiler (or whatever) code to fail.

So to avoid the incompatibility problems, a new MBeanServer is created
at a time of our choice (early in the startup process). It is
wrapped so that we can intercept all MBeanServer calls.

Lloyd