admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish V3: should AMX preserve create() methods for backwards compatibility?

From: Lloyd L Chambers <Lloyd.Chambers_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 08:58:09 -0700

Jerome,

Yes, I think it could work generically. My intent at this point is to
support all the existing create() methods (lots of examples in AMX
com.sun.appserv.management.config.DomainConfig).

Each create() method would have its own method name (not a generic
name), which yields the return type and its own signature(no Java
generic types involved here). All parameters are 'String'. The
'optional' Map contain any other attributes which need not be
specified, but can be for convenience and atomicity. In short, I'm
looking for 100% V2 compatibility.

Some of many possible variants:

public interface SomeAMXConfig extends AMXConfig, Container {

   // no annotation is actually needed, "name" and "optional" can be
assumed as default names
   // and @AMXConfigInfo for Abc already offers a nameHint() so that
name could be "name", "id", etc.
   @ConfigCreate(paramNames={"name","optional"})
   public Abc createAbcConfig( String name, Map<String,String>
optional);

   // no annotation is actually needed; generic form just sets what's
there
   @ConfigCreate
   public Def createDefConfig( Map<String,String> optional);

   // annotation *required*; the attribute "port-number" cannot be
deduced
   @ConfigCreate(paramNames={ "name", "classname", "port-number"})
   public Xyz createXyzConfig( String name, String classname, String
portNumber, Map<String,String> optional);};
}

AMX needs the following to make it work;
0. Consistent naming pattern. Easy, this is done today in V2 AMX
interfaces. Future methods would have to conform to the pattern for
automatic support.
1. Deduce the sub-interface of AMXConfig which is involved. This
part is easy; it's the return type of the method.
2. Parameter names: missing. This is what @ParamNames is needed; it
allows
3. Ability to get the <? extends ConfigBeanProx) interface (the
@Configured interface) so that it can be instantiated.

====> #3 is what I need your help on. Given the name "Abc" or "Xyz",
that needs to (somehow) find the matching @Configured interface. This
could be a textual match (which is inflexible and might not always be
feasible), or perhaps the annotation can include hint at the classnam
eg:

@ConfigCreate(classHint="org.webstuff.alphabet.XyzConfigStuff",
paramNames={ "name", "classname", "port-number"})
public Xyz createXyzConfig( String name, String classname, String
portNumber, Map<String,String> optional);};

Lloyd

On Mar 17, 2008, at 10:20 PM, Jerome Dochez wrote:

> So if I understand the pattern correctly, you have named parameters
> for required parameters and all others are passed in the optional
> map ?
>
> so we have some like :
>
> <T> T createTConfig(T.param1, T.param2, Map<String, String optionals)
>
> T.param1 are @Attribute declared on T with required=true, all other
> T attributes go in optionals.
>
> for Instance take in Domain.java, for JdbcResource, the above
> automatic mapping with today's @Attribute would lead to
>
> JdbcResource createJdbcResourceConfig(String jndi-name, String pool-
> name, Map<String, String> optionals);
>
> that seem remarkably close to https://glassfish.dev.java.net/nonav/javaee5/amx/javadoc/com/sun/appserv/management/config/DomainConfig.html
> #createJDBCResourceConfig(java.lang.String,%20java.lang.String,
> %20java.util.Map)
>
> but of course, it's only 1 example. do you think this could work
> generically ?
>
> jerome
>
> On Mar 17, 2008, at 11:05 AM, Lloyd L Chambers wrote:
>
>> Jerome,
>>
>> I am averse to any system that would require special processing to
>> generate the info ("APT"). An annotation is something that anyone
>> can add and compile at will with any build system eg a 3rd party
>> with their own build system or java compiler--and it seems very
>> straightforward. But I don't understand your proposal about APT.
>>
>> For an example of the types of create() methods seen today, take a
>> look at AMX DomainConfig:
>> https://glassfish.dev.java.net/nonav/javaee5/amx/javadoc/com/sun/appserv/management/config/DomainConfig.html
>>
>> All AMX creation methods for config start with "create" and end
>> with "Config" and are scoped by the containing AMXConfig MBean
>> ("Container"). These facts allow enough knowledge about what to be
>> created to implement it in general (I think).
>>
>> There are alternatives to methods with specific names. AMX could
>> offer this type of generic facility:
>> create( String j2eeType, Map<String,String> attributes );
>>
>> But the above actually introduces additional complexities (eg
>> required parameters are not specified), and it breaks backward
>> compatibility.
>>
>> Lloyd

>>> I understand now, thanks
>>> no there isn't a way to do that with reflection but we could use
>>> APT to generate that information automatically.
>>>
>>> where would these createABC be located ?
>>>
>>> Jerome

>> ---
>> Lloyd L Chambers
>> lloyd.chambers_at_sun.com