admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: <engine> has no unique ID

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 11:18:08 -0700

Lloyd L Chambers wrote:
> To clarify: the name of the <engine> need only be unique within its
> scope (eg the application, web module, etc), because the name of the app
> forms part of the ObjectName. Even in an EAR, if each web module has
> <engine> elements, the web module names are unique, therefore the
> ObjectNames would be unique.
>
> The only problem would be if we had more than one <engine> with the same
> "sniffer" attribute in the same scope.
>
> A reasonable assumption?

I am not understanding one thing and hope you have thought this through.

Is Engine something that user/developer needs to understand/know?
I was under the impression that user deals with applications and the
other machinations are handled transparently. So, I'd think we should
avoid exposing "Engines" to users unless we absolutely have to.

- Kedar