admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: config solution

From: Lloyd L Chambers <Lloyd.Chambers_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:36:45 -0700

Jerome,

Yes, that is correct.

AMX is object-oriented, which means (among other things), that using
any particular AMX config MBean affects *only* that AMX MBean (and
the underlying configuration it exposes). This approach also allows
straightforward testing.

The foregoing is also true of the com.sun.appserv:category=config
MBeans, excluding certain special ones.

There is an AMX bulk-access APIU which could be put to use if we want
an explicit "batch change across multiple MBeans", eg the AMX
BulkAccess MBean:
https://glassfish.dev.java.net/nonav/javaee5/amx/javadoc/com/sun/
appserv/management/base/BulkAccess.html

However, today's implementation invokes calls across each specified
ObjectName one-by-one; it's as if the client make each call
individually. The intent was for efficient access. But it could
potentially be exploited to provide "succeed or fail all at once".

Lloyd

On Oct 19, 2007, at 9:30 AM, Jerome Dochez wrote:

> I think you answered separately. It was wether or not AMX APis
> usually "touch" more than one config bean at a time. it seems that
> the answer is no which of course simplifies the problem at hand a
> lot. Is that correct ?
>
> On Oct 19, 2007, at 9:21 AM, Lloyd L Chambers wrote:
>
>> Please restate the question; I don't understand it.

>>> so putting aside admin-gui, amx is also about hiding some of the
>>> complexity behind config/mbeans so it is clear that they at least
>>> in some cases apply more than one change to a config element.
>>> Would you say that in most (if not all) cases, such changes are
>>> co-located ?
>>
>> ---
>> Lloyd L Chambers
>> lloyd.chambers_at_sun.com