admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: config solution

From: Lloyd L Chambers <Lloyd.Chambers_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:25:45 -0700

Jerome,

Today's V2 configuration works to my satisfaction, and I’m not aware
of any complaints in regards to changing multiple areas of
configuration.

In V2, changing configuration across multiple distinct configuration
objects ( eg MBeans corresponding to domain.xml elements) does indeed
cause a reconfigure even for each affected object.

I don't see how the same behavior in V3 would suddenly become an issue.

Lloyd

On Oct 19, 2007, at 4:18 AM, Jerome Dochez wrote:

>> Allowing arbitrary changes across an entire module config
>> hierarchy is complicated, but perhaps even more so for the module
>> writer, who might then have to accommodate wholesale changes to
>> multiple running threads/services of that module. So I don't
>> think that is a worthwhile goal, though we shouldn't preclude
>> being able to do it in the future.
>
> right, the thing that stresses me the most if we support only the
> happy medium if the flow of change events generated when such
> config hierarchy is changed. I really don't want to get into a
> pattern where we have behavior elements react to individual config
> element change because the notifications become noisy and you end
> up reconfiguring yourself multiple time.
>
> so something like behaviorA that uses configA, B and C
> on configA, set, set,set --> notification sent --> behaviorA
> reconfigure
> on configB, set, set,set --> notification sent --> behaviorA
> reconfigure
> on configC, set, set,set --> notification sent --> behaviorA
> reconfigure
>
> this use case would be worth investigating without trying to
> implement the transaction support.

---
Lloyd L Chambers
lloyd.chambers_at_sun.com