admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: AI from Admin iTeam Mtg - list of CLI cluster supported commands

From: Paul Davies <Paul-Martin.Davies_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 17:19:25 -0700

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your response. I have some comments and follow up questions inline.

Bill Shannon wrote:
> Paul Davies wrote:
>
>> Hi Jane,
>>
>> Thanks for this information. I think this means that to each of the
>> man pages listed, I should add this note:
>>
>> This command is available only in the cluter profile and the
>> enterprise profile.
>>
>> Previously, individual options and operands of some commands were
>> avialable only in EE, even though the command itself was available in
>> all editions.
>>
>> Is this still the case? Are there commands that are available in all
>> profiles that have options that are available only with the cluster or
>> enterprise profile? If so, are they the same options of the same
>> commands as before, when we had editions?
>

> Profiles and editions are quite different concepts.

However, the 1-pager for usage profile support implies that profiles are a
replacement for editions as a means of "tweaking of the configuration of the
runtime" to suit its expected primary usage.

That's why I asked if options whose availability was formerly determined by the
edition are now available whenever the command is available, or whether their
availabilty is now determined through profiles.

 From this comment, it appears that they are available whenever the command is
available. Is that correct? [The answer determines whether I edit or delete the
existing text in the man pages.]

> When you're explaining which commands work when, please don't tie the
> description to a specific profile.

But the profile with which a domain is created does affect which commands are
available in that domain, assuming that the domian is not reconfigured after it
is created. For that reason, I still think it's useful to establish the
connection between availability of a command and the predefined profiles that
are supplied with the software.

> Some commands require that a domain be configured to support clusters.
> It's a bug, or maybe "lack of feature", that that's required and that
> all domains aren't *capable* of supporting clusters all the time.
> Profiles are just a convenient way of configuring a domain. Currently
> the developer profile does *not* configure the domain to support clusters,
> but the cluster and enterprise domains do. Other profiles might or might
> not configure the domain to support clusters.

As I understand it, in App Server 9.1, the only profiles are developer, cluster,
and enterprise. Other profiles, and the ability to create custom profiles are a
possible enhancement for a future release.

> There's nothing magic about the profile named "cluster".

Except that a predefined profile of this name is suppled with the product. A
user can create a domain specifying cluster as the profile. In such a domain,
certain commands are available that are not available in a domain whose profile
is developer. Similarly for the enterprise profile.

> A better note for the man page might be something like:
>
> This command is available only in domains that are configured
> to support clusters.

I still think it would be useful to add further clarification of the
relationship between configuration to support clusters and the predefined
profiles that are supplied with the software.

Perhaps the following wording addresses these concerns:

        This command is available only in domains whose profile is the cluster
        profile or the enterprise profile, or that are configured in some other
        way to support clusters.

Regards,
--
Paul Davies, Senior Technical Writer, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
http://blogs.sun.com/techscribe/