dev@fi.java.net

Re: Vocabulary API

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 18:23:13 +0100

Alan Hudson wrote:
> Paul Sandoz wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>

>>Alan, for binary X3D documents it might be possible to use a well-formed
>>XML document that when converted to a fast infoset document produces a
>>final vocabulary that is used as the external vocabulary detailed in the
>>X3D specification. After all it is just a matter of putting the
>>namespaces, EIIs and AIIs in the correct order.
>>

> Its a nice to have but not required. Ie we have out spec prose for ISO
> which predefines some of the tables. But, I doubt
> we can just use an XML format. That said, I'd much rather maintain an
> XML document then a piece of code somewhere that builds it dynamically
> each time.

I am thinking more for implementations, rather than a normatice XML
document (although it could appear in a non-normative annex). Rather
than coding explicity the vocabulary an XML document (or a fast infoset
document :-) ) would be very convienient although perhaps slower to
intially generate e.g. the XML document/fast infoset document could be
publically accessible by a URI and it would be a couple of lines of code
to generate the vocabulary from the network. If you choose an external
vocabulary URI that can be dereferenced to obtain the XML document that
would be cool! :-)

> One thought, is there any reason to allow a user-specified data block
> for each entry. I'm thinking this might be useful to hang custom algorithm
> information... ie the URL pointing to the encoder to use for it. If a
> vocabulary was just assigning them by element/attribute name.

Ah, there is a bug in my thinking i cannot see how external vocabulary
URIs would get added thus an extra step is required for this :-(

Yes, some additional information for encoding algorithms to be added to
the table is required. Hmm... obviously this information needs to be
filtered from the XML document before a vocab is generated, a simple SAX
filter would do it, while it is filtering out the algorithms it could be
adding them to the table.
.
Paul.

--