users@el-spec.java.net

[el-spec users] [jsr341-experts] Status on alignment with Java SE8 on collections operations

From: Kin-man Chung <kinman.chung_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 15:13:19 -0700

Dear experts,

As we all know, Java SE 8 will add lambda expression to the language and
collection operations to the library. Recently, there have been
tremendous development in the OpenJDK Lambda Project. See

     http://openjdk.java.net/projects/lambda/

I have been in discussions with Brian Goetz, the project lead for JSR
337, as well as with other Java EE spec leads about efforts to align our
spec with Java SE 8, and have come to the conclusion that it would
server our users better if EL provides similar functionalities and
support on collection operations. When Java SE 8 is released, EL users
will invoke the methods in the collection directly, so it does not make
sense for EL to invent totally different ways of doing the same thing.

Therefore the spec will be rewritten to remove the support for LINQ
operators and instead support the operations in SE 8. Although their
design is still in the flux, the basic operations are stable. A lot of
their efforts are being spent on executing the operations concurrently,
and that is something that we'll not include in the current jsr.

We'll also move our dates for the proposed final draft to Dec 2012 and
the final release to Feb 2013, to accommodate the change.

If you have any concerns or questions, please let me know. I'll also
report back on the progress (spec and implementation) from time to time.

-- Kin-man