users@el-spec.java.net

[el-spec users] [jsr341-experts] Re: The new EL 3.0 String concatenation operator &, how would that work in Facelets?

From: Mark Thomas <markt_at_apache.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 11:09:56 +0000

On 15/02/2012 22:50, Kin-man Chung wrote:
> Thanks for the feed back on EL 3.0.
>
> EL has currently another xml special character, namely, <. How is this
> handled in facelets?
>
> Regardless, it seems prudent to pick another symbol for concatenation.
> Consider the expression
>
> foo &amp;
>
> which in EL means foo concatenate amp. Already I can see there may be
> confusions. :-)
>
> What does other EGs think about this?

There is a lack of hard data in the original report. Before we consider
changing this I'd like to see some harder evidence than "I imagine".

> I recall the other symbols we considered:
>
> 1. ++
> 2. #
> 3. +=
> 4. !

Of those, "+=" would be my preference. I'd also like to throw "+" into
the ring.

> In any case, we should also allow the string "concat" as an operator,
> like "eq" or "lt" etc.

I agree a string form should also be supported. I'd suggest something
shorter as all the other string forms are two or three characters.
Possibilities:
cc
cat
ct