users@ejb-spec.java.net

[ejb-spec users] [jsr345-experts] Re: EJB lite subset

From: Marina Vatkina <marina.vatkina_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 11:34:22 -0700

Jeremy,

Jeremy Bauer wrote:
> Marina,
>
> Any word from the JCA spec lead?
We were all busy with JavaOne ;).

> I agree that certification of an EJB lite + feature x,y,z
> implementation would be difficult if the TCK cannot be easily
> segmented to test individual capabilities beyond EJB lite. If I
> understand correctly, at the moment, a vendor can certify as Web
> Profile compliant and if they choose, provide additional EJB features
> such as @Remote?

To *claim* support for @Remote, the vendor would need to pass all tests
that are relevant to the remote rules, including interop tests.

> This discussion also seems to have implications for defining a custom
> profile. Going back to the original JCA/JMS/MDB example, let's say we
> have a messaging scenario where inbound and outbound messages are to
> be processed in a lightweight bus infrastructure. Theoretically, a
> "message bus profile" could be defined for this scenario. Assuming
> this profile only wants to include MDB related function from the EJB
> spec, it would be beneficial if there was a way for the profile to
> only require (and certify) that function (and dependent function) from
> the EJB spec. In general, the ability to certify features at a more
> granular level would enhance the ability to create more purposed,
> lightweight profiles.

We should definitely look at such options. But any one of them would
need to define the closure of all relevant APIs that need to be
supported as well. It's on my todo list, but it's not straight forward.

Best,
-marina