jsr345-experts@ejb-spec.java.net

[jsr345-experts] _at_Local interfaces

From: David Blevins <david.blevins_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 14:29:41 -0700

Users are reporting getting mixed results on various servers with the following @Local usage.

Scenario 1:

   @Local
   @Stateless
   public class Foo {
   }

Scenario 2:

   @Stateless
   public class Color implements Red, Green, Blue {
   }

Scenario 3:

   @Local
   @Stateless
   public class Color implements Red, Green, Blue {
   }

Scenario 4:

   @Local
   @Stateless
   public class Color extends BaseColor implements Red {
   }

   public class BaseColor implements Green, Blue {
   }

Under the current rules, scenarios 1, 2 & 3 would be illegal and scenario 4 would result a Color bean with exactly one business local interface, Red.

Some users are reporting all four working, sometimes will all three interfaces implied @Local. And, really, that is the more intuitive approach.

My personal opinion on @Local is that all interfaces directly implemented in the class or parent classes should be implied @Local unless the user explicitly lists interfaces, then just the list would be considered.

We might not be able to do that from a backwards compatibility perspective, however two thoughts come to mind: it seems a compatibility issue already exists and is affecting portability; the strict rules are perhaps too pedantic and unintuitive.

Immediately though, I don't think we want to take spec action. At this stage I wonder if we could get people to check their implementations and report back how these scenarios are handled.

-David