jsr345-experts@ejb-spec.java.net

[jsr345-experts] Re: Working draft documents are available for review

From: Reza Rahman <reza_rahman_at_lycos.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 14:01:17 -0400

Marina,

Good work (I am sure it was not particularly easy). I didn't read
everything word-for-word, but it looks OK. If I see anything at a later
point in time, I will let you know.

Generally, it obviously makes things a lot less cluttered with all the
outdated stuff removed. I only regret that I did not push harder to make
all the EJB 2.x stuff pruned in EJB 3.1. Maybe we can fix that this
time. I don't know how others feel, but I would also like to prune the
CORBA interoperability. All this stuff was fine in the late 90s/early
2000s. It's just an eyesore in 2011/2012 and a reminder of why so many
people still dread EJB despite all of our efforts to make it a truly
lightweight technology.

A couple of other things that caught my eye while reading this:
* Anyone remember why just session beans and not message driven beans
also are not defined to be managed beans? Should that be fixed?
* I think the schema is missing the <data-source> element (corresponding
to the @DataSourceDefinition annotation). I believe application.xml,
ejb-jar.xml and web.xml were all supposed to support that. In fact,
should we make some mention of the @DataSourceDefinition annotation?

If you need me to enter JIRAs for these, let me know.

Cheers,
Reza