users@connector-spec.java.net

[connector-spec-users] [jsr322-experts] Connector CF Resource Definition annotation - a proposal and request for comments.

From: Sivakumar Thyagarajan <sivakumar.thyagarajan_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 17:24:28 +0530

Hello experts

Today a system administrator has to create Connection Factory resources
that are required for an application. It would be easier for a
developer to get started if we allow an application to specify the
definition and configuration of resources that it requires in
its operational environment, and have them automatically created
and configured for the application. The DataSourceDefinition annotation
introduced in Java EE 6 to address similar needs was widely
appreciated by developers.

The EE7 specification has been discussing this for a while, and
started by defining two connector related resources (in addition to
a bunch of JMS, Mail resources):
- Connector or Custom Resource Definition and
- Connector Administered Object Definition.
(Sections EE.5.19.7 and EE.5.19.8 of EDR-2 of the EE7 platform
spec)

The attached proposal discusses issues with the current too-generic
connector resource definition in the Platform spec and suggests that we
remove the current section “EE.5.19.7 Connector or Custom
Resource Definition”, and instead specify requirements for the support
of a connector connection factory resource definition.

I have raised an issue for this [1], and written down a proposal
(attached) on how we could define a connector connection factory
resource definition annotation (it is a
mouthful! ... better naming suggestions are most welcome). The doc
discusses the suggested changes (to the EE spec, and the Connectors
spec), and also lists down a bunch of open questions that I would
like us to brainstorm over.

Could you please share your comments and inputs on this?

Once our group reaches a consensus on this, we can take this to
the platform spec lead and EG to make the necessary changes in
the platform spec.

Thanks
--Siva.
[1] http://java.net/jira/browse/CONNECTOR_SPEC-6