users@concurrency-ee-spec.java.net

[jsr236-spec users] [jsr236-experts] Alternatives to ThreadFactory

From: David M. Lloyd <david.lloyd_at_redhat.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 22:24:46 -0500

According to the Javadoc at [1], support for managed thread factories is
intended. I am wondering if any particular shutdown mechanism has been
specified? How will the container tear down threads associated with a
given component?

I would like to suggest that we specify a thread base class or interface
for managed threads, which includes an isShutdown() method which would
return a flag which is set when the thread is requested to terminate.
The thread should also be interrupted at this time.

I would also suggest that threads started after component shutdown was
initiated should be allowed to run, but they should start with an
interrupted status and their shutdown flag set.

[1]
http://concurrency-ee-spec.java.net/javadoc/index.html?javax/enterprise/concurrent/ManagedThreadFactory.html
--
- DML