users@javamail.java.net

Re: Strange behaviour of javaMail in Windows XP and Norton Antivirus

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_sun.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 23:42:56 -0700

(Resend from correct email address for kenai.com.)

Wow. No, I've never had anyone report that problem before.

I'm not surprised that Norton is scanning outgoing emails, but it
doesn't sound like it's doing it properly. Can you send me the
trace that shows what happens when you send 30 emails with Norton
enabled?

JavaMail doesn't know anything about Norton, and doesn't really have
a way to control things at that level. And you can imagine that if
it did, it would defeat the whole purpose of Norton, and lots of
viruses would take advantage of that.

I guess I'd like to see the trace, but most likely this is a problem
you'll have to take up with Symantec.