dev@javamail.java.net

Re: MS-Exchange Problem since 1.4.3

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 13:31:54 -0800

I went back and looked at the old code to see what the change was.
It looks like this is due to a bug fix. In 1.4.2, if it couldn't
find any authentication mechanisms, it just blindly went forward
without authenticating, even though you asked it to authenticate.
In 1.4.3, it fails if there are no matching authentication mechanisms
and you asked it to authenticate.

Apparently the Exchange server is allowing mail to be sent without
authenticating. If that's the intention, the application should
*not* be passing a username and password to the connect method, and
should *not* be setting the mail.smtp.auth property to true.