Note: This is an archival copy of Security Sun Alert 239785 as previously published on http://sunsolve.sun.com.|
Latest version of this security advisory is available from http://support.oracle.com as Sun Alert 1019452.1.
Solaris 10 Operating System
Date of Workaround Release
Date of Resolved Release
Security Vulnerability in the System Management Agent (SMA) SNMP daemon (snmpd(1M))
A security vulnerability in the System Management Agent (SMA) SNMP daemon (snmpd(1M)) that ships with Solaris may allow a local or remote unprivileged user to execute arbitrary code with the privileges of the SNMP daemon, or crash the SNMP daemon, which is a type of Denial of Service (DoS).
This issue is also described in the following document:
CVE-2008-2292 at http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-2292
2. Contributing Factors
This issue can occur in the following releases:
1. Solaris 8 and Solaris 9 do not ship with the Net-SNMP software and therefore are not impacted by this issue.
2. The Solaris 10 patches which address this vulnerability do not increment the version of Net-SNMP. The version of Net-SNMP supplied with the patches will still be reported as 5.0.9.
3. This issue only affects systems which have the SUNWsmagt package installed. To determine if the SUNWsmagt package is installed on the system, the following command can be run:
$ pkginfo -l SUNWsmagt
4. Only OpenSolaris installations including the affected binary listed below are affected by this issue:
5. OpenSolaris distributions may include additional bug fixes above and beyond the build from which it was derived. The base build can be derived as follows:
$ uname -a
There are no predictable symptoms that would indicate that the above issue is being exploited.
To prevent this issue from occurring until the system is upgraded or a patch can be applied, the SMA service can be disabled on a system by running the following command as the root user on Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris releases:
# svcadm disable svc:/application/management/sma:default
30-Jul-2008: Updated Contributing Factors and Resolution sections, now Resolved
This solution has no attachment