Note: This is an archival copy of Security Sun Alert 238865 as previously published on http://sunsolve.sun.com.|
Latest version of this security advisory is available from http://support.oracle.com as Sun Alert 1019363.1.
Solaris 10 Operating System
Date of Workaround Release
Date of Resolved Release
SNMPv3 Authentication Bypass Vulnerability in snmpd(1M)
A security vulnerability in the System Management Agent (SMA) SNMP daemon (snmpd(1M)) that shipped with Solaris may allow a local or remote unprivileged user to access unauthorized information.
This issue is described in the following document:
2. Contributing Factors
This issue can occur in the following releases:
1. Solaris 8 and Solaris 9 do not ship with the Net-SNMP software and thus are not impacted by this issue.
2. The Net-SNMP software was not bundled with Solaris prior to Solaris10. However, customers who have built and/or installed a vulnerable version of Net-SNMP on any version of Solaris are at risk. (See the Net-SNMP web site to download the latest version of Net-SNMP which addresses this issue).
3. The Solaris 10 patches which address this vulnerability do not increment the version of Net-SNMP. The version of Net-SNMP supplied with the patches will still be reported as 5.0.9.
4. This issue only affects systems which have the SUNWsmagt package installed. To determine if the SUNWsmagt package is installed on the system, the following command can be used:
$ pkginfo -l SUNWsmagt
5. Only OpenSolaris installations including the affected binary "/usr/sfw/lib/libnetsnmp.so.5.0.9" are affected by this issue.
6. OpenSolaris distributions may include additional bug fixes above and beyond the build from which it was derived. The base build can be derived as follows:
$ uname -a
There are no predictable symptoms that would indicate this issue has being exploited to gain access to unauthorized information.
There is no workaround for this issue. Please see the Resolution section below.
This issue is addressed in the following releases:
For more information
on Security Sun Alerts, see 1009886.1.
This Sun Alert
notification is being provided to you on
an "AS IS"
basis. This Sun Alert notification may contain information provided by
third parties. The issues described in this Sun Alert notification may
or may not impact your system(s). Sun makes no representations,
warranties, or guarantees as to the information contained herein. ANY
AND ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR
NON-INFRINGEMENT, ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED. BY ACCESSING THIS DOCUMENT YOU
ACKNOWLEDGE THAT SUN SHALL IN NO EVENT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT,
INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES THAT ARISE OUT
OF YOUR USE OR FAILURE TO USE THE INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN. This
Sun Alert notification contains Sun proprietary and confidential
information. It is being provided to you pursuant to the provisions of
your agreement to purchase services from Sun, or, if you do not have
notification may only be used for the purposes contemplated by these
This solution has no attachment