Note: This is an archival copy of Security Sun Alert 236321 as previously published on http://sunsolve.sun.com.|
Latest version of this security advisory is available from http://support.oracle.com as Sun Alert 1019164.1.
Solaris 10 Operating System
Date of Resolved Release
A Security Vulnerability in Solaris 10 Involving the SCTP Protocol May Result in a Panic and Denial of Service (DoS)
1. ImpactA security vulnerability in Solaris 10 related to the SCTP protocol may allow a local or remote unprivileged user to cause a system panic resulting in a Denial of Service (DoS) condition. (See also sctp(7P)).
2. Contributing FactorsThis issue can occur in the following releases:
This issue only affects systems with a "SCTP" socket in the "LISTEN" state. To determine if a host has such a socket, the following command may be used:
$ netstat -an -P sctp | grep LISTENIf the system does not have any "SCTP" sockets in the "LISTEN" state, it is not vulnerable to this issue.
3. SymptomsIf the described issue occurs, the system may panic with a stack similar to the following:
4. WorkaroundThere is no workaround for this issue. Please see the Resolution section below.
5. ResolutionThis issue is addressed in the following releases:
Copyright 2000-2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc., 4150 Network Circle, Santa Clara, CA 95054 U.S.A. All rights reserved.
23-May-2008: Updated Contributing Factors section
This solution has no attachment