Note: This is an archival copy of Security Sun Alert 233325 as previously published on http://sunsolve.sun.com.|
Latest version of this security advisory is available from http://support.oracle.com as Sun Alert 1019020.1.
6633278, 6633265, 6660717
Date of Resolved Release
Vulnerabilties in the Java Runtime Environment Image Parsing Library
1. ImpactA vulnerability in the Java Runtime Environment image parsing library may allow an untrusted application or applet that is downloaded from a website to elevate its privileges. For example, the application or applet may grant itself permissions to read and write local files or execute local applications that are accessible to the user running the untrusted application or applet.
Two vulnerabilities in the color management library may allow an untrusted applet or application or applet to cause the Java Runtime Environment to crash, which is a type of Denial of Service (DoS).
Sun acknowledges with thanks, Chris Evans of the Google Security Team for bringing the first two issues to our attention.
2. Contributing FactorsThese issues can occur in the following releases (for Windows, Solaris, and Linux):
To determine the default version of the JRE that Internet Explorer uses:
To determine the default version of the JRE that Mozilla or Firefox browsers use, visit the URL "about:plugins". The browser will display a page called "Installed plug-ins" which lists the version of the Java Plug-in such as the following:
Java(TM) Plug-in 1.5.0_11-b03
The above indicates the version of the JRE the browser uses is 1.5.0_11.
3. SymptomsThere are no predictable symptoms that would indicate that the above issues are being exploited.
4. WorkaroundThere is no workaround for these issues. Please see the Resolution section below.
5. ResolutionThese issues are addressed in the following releases (for Windows, Solaris, and Linux):
JRE 6 update 5 is available through the Java Update Tool for Microsoft Windows users.
JDK 6 Update 5 for Solaris is available in the following patches:
JDK 5.0 Update 15 for Solaris is available in the following patches:
For more information on Security Sun Alerts, see 1009886.1.
Copyright 2000-2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc., 4150 Network Circle, Santa Clara, CA 95054 U.S.A. All rights reserved.
Sun Java Standard Edition (Java SE)
This solution has no attachment