Note: This is an archival copy of Security Sun Alert 231601 as previously published on http://sunsolve.sun.com.|
Latest version of this security advisory is available from http://support.oracle.com as Sun Alert 1018994.1.
StarOffice 8 Software
StarSuite 8 Software
Date of Resolved Release
Security Vunerability with Quattro Pro Files in StarOffice 8/StarSuite 8
1. ImpactA security vulnerability with the way StarOffice/StarSuite 8 processes Quattro Pro files may allow a remote unprivileged user who provides a Quattro Pro document that is opened by a local user with StarOffice/StarSuite 8 to execute arbitrary commands on the system with the privileges of the user running StarOffice/StarSuite.
Sun would like to acknowledge with thanks, an anonymous researcher working with the iDefense VCP (http://labs.idefense.com/vcp/).
This issue is also described in the following documents:
CVE-2007-5745 at http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2007-5745
CVE-2007-5747 at http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2007-5747
2. Contributing FactorsThis issue can occur in the following releases:
To determine the version of StarOffice/StarSuite installed on a system, the following command can be run (for <program dir>/program/bootstraprc):
% grep Product bootstraprcOr using the GUI, do the following (with StarOffice/StarSuite open):
3. SymptomsThere are no predictable symptoms that would indicate this vulnerability has been exploited.
4. WorkaroundThere is no workaround for this issue. Please see the Resolution section below.
5. ResolutionThis issue is addressed in the following releases:
Copyright 2000-2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc., 4150 Network Circle, Santa Clara, CA 95054 U.S.A. All rights reserved.
This solution has no attachment