Two vulnerabilities in the Java Runtime Environment may independently allow an untrusted application or applet that is downloaded from a website to elevate its privileges. For example, the application or applet may grant itself permissions to read and write local files or execute local applications that are accessible to the user running the untrusted application or applet.
2. Contributing Factors
These issues can occur in the following releases (for Windows, Solaris, and Linux):
- JDK and JRE 6 Update 1 and earlier
- JDK and JRE 5.0 Update 13 and earlier
Note: SDK and JRE 1.4.x and earlier are not affected by these issues.
To determine the default version of the JRE that Internet Explorer uses:
- Click "Tools" in the Menu Bar at the top of the browser
- Select "Sun Java Console"
- The first two lines in the console displays the version of Java Plug-in and JRE that Internet Explorer uses
To determine the default version of the JRE that Mozilla or Firefox browsers use, visit the URL "about:plugins".
The browser will display a page called "Installed plug-ins" which lists the version of the Java Plug-in, as in the following example:
Java(TM) Plug-in 1.5.0_11-b03
The example above indicates that the version of the JRE the browser uses is 1.5.0_11.
There are no predictable symptoms that would indicate the described issues have been exploited.
There is no workaround for these issues. Please see the Resolution section below.
These issues are addressed in the following releases (for Windows, Solaris, and Linux):
- JDK and JRE 6 Update 2 or later
- JDK and JRE 5.0 Update 14 or later
and as the following patches for Solaris:
For Java SE 6:
- Java SE 6 update 2 (as patch 125136-02 or later)
- Java SE 6 update 2 (as patch 125137-02 or later (64bit))
- Java SE 6_x86 update 2 (as patch 125138-02 or later)
- Java SE 6_x86 update 2 (as patch 125139-02 or later (64bit))
For J2SE 5.0:
- J2SE 5.0 update 14 (as patch 118666-15 or later)
- J2SE 5.0 update 14 (as patch 118667-15 or later (64bit))
- J2SE 5.0_x86 update 14 (as patch 118668-15 or later)
- J2SE 5.0_x86 update 14 (as patch 118669-15 or later (64bit))
JDK and JRE 6 is available for download at the following link:
JRE 6 updates are available through the Java Update tool for Microsoft Windows users.
JDK and JRE 5.0 Update 14 is available for download at the following link:
Note: When installing a new version of the product from a source other than a Solaris patch, it is recommended that the old affected versions be removed from your system. To remove old affected versions on the Windows platform, please see:
Copyright 2000-2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc., 4150 Network Circle, Santa Clara, CA 95054 U.S.A. All rights reserved.