users@jms-spec.java.net

[jms-spec users] [jsr343-experts] Re: (JMS_SPEC-50) Clarify that JMS providers must implement both P2P and Pub-Sub

From: Nigel Deakin <nigel.deakin_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 16:44:54 +0000

On 19/08/2011 16:03, Nigel Deakin wrote:
> I have logged this JIRA issue, which I hope is self-explanatory:
> http://java.net/jira/browse/JMS_SPEC-50
>
> Any objections?
>
> In the JMS Specification 1.1, Chapter 1.3 "What Is Required by JMS" says:
>
> "Providers of JMS point-to-point functionality are not required to provide publish/subscribe functionality and vice versa."
>
> However Java EE 6 in Section EE.2.7.8 "Java™ Message Service (JMS)" says
>
> "The Java Message Service is a standard API for messaging that supports reliable point-to-point messaging as well as the
> publish-subscribe model. This specification requires a JMS provider that implements both point-to-point messaging as
> well as publish-subscribe messaging."
>
> It is proposed to change the JMS specification to bring it in to line with Java EE, and make it mandatory for a
> standalone JMS provider to implement both point-to-point messaging (Queues) and publish-subscribe messaging (Topics).

There was general consensus on this change.

I've now updated the draft spec to reflect this decision (these changes are additive, so those docs include other changes).

The updated draft spec is here:
http://java.net/projects/jms-spec/sources/repository/content/jms2.0/specification/word/JMS20.pdf
(All changes are highlighted clearly with changebars. The only sections affected are section 1.3 "What Is Required by
JMS" and section 11.5.10 which is the change log for this issue.)

There are no javadoc changes.

Nigel