[jsr375-experts] Re: Welcome to the JSR 375 EE Security API Expert Group!

From: Jean-Louis Monteiro <jlmonteiro_at_tomitribe.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 09:51:24 +0100

Hi all,

Jean-Louis Monteiro, also Java EE lover. Been involved in some open source
projects and EJB 3.2 JSR. I've been working over the last 10 years in
banking, insurance and secured environments like PCI (Paiement Card
Industry) or even stronger.

All over the years, I tried using the standard JSR 250 annotations and Java
EE Security, but there was always something missing, not accurate or not
extensible. It resulted most of the time in using open source software like
Spring Security, Apache Shiro or even CAS, Jasypt, Apache Fediz. This was
in best cases of course cause I've also seen many in-house user management
or security frameworks.

I have some pretty good skills in cryptography I learned over the years.

I'd like to first start modernizing the current API and yes, as David said,
CDI is definitely a great tool for callbacks or to give more freedom to
applications, to let them add some business rules or add dynamic
constraints. JASPIC (especially since version 1.1) definitely provided with
some answers on the authentication part. Let's try to do the same with
authorization and accounting part to get the AAA complete. And I would say
that even JASPIC could benefit from CDI Events.

I'd like also to see more discussions to get the security API more
integrated and usable with other specifications. For instance, how could we
get a bit of security in JPA? Having hashed passwords in DB is very common
and even add some common cryptographic functions in JPQL and why not
support 2-way ciphered data.

Same for JAX RS. The current specification defines a pretty great
integration with Java Servlet specification, but servlet security (simple
url pattern matching + http verb) is not enough and again results in
proprietary solutions.

WS Security could be another example.

I'm also thinking about opening the doors to internet standards like
OpenID, SAML, or OAuth, to name a few.

Finally, some very trivial things like supporting ciphered passwords in
configuration files is not covered.

This has not direct relationship with the current specification, but we
could think about extension points to let other specifications interface
with this Java EE Security API.

Looking forward to learn more about you guys and have fun and interesting
discussions.

Kind regards,
Jean-Louis

--